The Essential Secretary Skills You Should Know Before Hiring a Secretary in India
A company secretary has a significant role in the efficient administration of a company. They have to ensure compliance with the statutory requirements and also organize the Board of Directors (BoD) work. Furthermore, the secretary has to handle all the documentation work and prepare contracts or agreements for the company. He/she needs to advise the BoD in matters related to finance, legal procedures, and governance. Moreover, they must maintain good relations with the shareholders and communicate information to them as and when required. In order to perform these duties efficiently, you must hire someone with essential secretary skills, such as excellent communication ability, multitasking skills, and more.
The Key Skillsets a Company Secretary Should Possess
The following qualities will make a company secretary efficient in any organization he works for:
Ability to Organize
- The company secretary must know everything about the organization’s business and its aims and objectives. He should know the latest developments made by the organization.
- They must have the ability to arrange and organize effective meetings since these assemblies use up the valuable time and resources of the company.
- The secretary should bring up compliance issues at BoD meetings and also offer solutions to take action. All these solutions and actions should be such that the organization understands and complies with them easily.
Capacity to Multitask
- The company secretary’s job requires juggling many things, including organizing meetings, communicating between BoD and the management, and ensuring compliance. All these duties are of a varied nature, and the secretary must keep them all going together, prioritizing those, which are to be done first.
- The secretary has to ensure that everything runs smoothly within the organization and collaborate with all the various departments.
- Organizations should meet compliance requirements in time and board meetings must take place as per their schedule. A company secretary must ensure everything takes place in time by always planning well ahead.
- The secretary must be good at project management since they have to handle several ongoing projects at a time.
Excellent Communication Skills
- Company secretaries have to deal with several senior people in an organization, including CEOs, senior external stakeholders, and executives. Good communication is a must to function efficiently with these senior members.
- The secretary must possess qualities like negotiation skills, tact, and emotional intelligence to deal with these senior people. Discretion and diplomacy are essential even while communicating through a written medium.
- The secretary must also have good listening ability and communicate well orally.
- They should develop excellent working relationships with every board member.
- The secretary must act in the company’s best interests and provide advice whenever required. He should guide the chairman in all development processes, such as training, induction, or board evaluation.
- A company secretary must have sound judgment skills, especially in issues with conflicting interests.
- Being the first point of contact for external stakeholders, such as investors, the secretary must maintain good relations with them and communicate effectively.
A company secretary’s job requires a thorough knowledge of the organization’s business and knowing about regulatory and compliance requirements and documentation, among other skills. The person hired by you must have the above listed essential secretary skills to efficiently perform their duties and be an asset to the company. 3E Accounting has years of experience providing secretarial services to various types of business enterprises. Their expert team of company secretaries provides the best India Corporate Secretary Services and efficiently guides businesses in legal procedures, documentation, and compliance issues.