A Guide to Trademarking Your Business in India
Incorporated your company and wondering how to get it trademarked? 3E Accounting can help with our Trademark Registration Services in India.
What is a Business Trademark?
It is a logo that represents your business. It is depicted as a visual symbol. A trademark can be a name, label, signature, device, numerals, or even a combination of colours. Your trademark is how you distinguish your brand and set it apart. It is how you and your customers identify with your service.
A trademark can be made up of logos, symbols, brand names, taglines, wrapper, words, packaging labels, or a combination of these. Coca-Cola is one example of a well-known trademark. A trademark guarantees quality and helps to advertise your product.
The easiest way to trademark your business would be via a Trademark Registration Services in India, like the kind 3E Accounting provides.
Should I Get My Business Trademarked?
That’s a good question. It depends on your personal preference at the end of the day. The decision about whether to trademark or not should be based on:
- Whether you think it is something good to have for your business
- The time and effort you have invested in your products and services
- Does your business provide brand value?
- Do you want to protect your business name/brand from being misused?
- Is your current business name already in use by someone else?
How Are Trademarks Registered in India?
In India, all trademarks will be registered under the Trademark Act 1999. They will be registered by the Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trademarks. This is by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India.
Your trademark must be original and unique. If it is similar to an existing one, your trademark cannot be registered.
Individuals, proprietors, companies, and legal entities are eligible to apply for a trademark. The filing process is done in a few days. Once approved, you can use the “TM” symbol. Completing the trademark registry formalities will take 18 to 24 months.
Upon registration, your trademark will be valid for 10 years. This begins from the date you file your trademark.
To apply for a trademark, you need the following documents:
- Logo copy or your trademark
- Details of your application (name, address, nationality etc)
- The services or goods you want to register
- Date your first used your trademark in India (if you have used it before applying)
- Power of attorney (this must be signed by you)
The steps to filing your trademark are as follows:
- Do your research to ensure your trademark is not in use
- Create your trademark
- Register your trademark
You must select an authorised agent to represent you. 3E Accounting can provide this service via our Trademark Registration Services in India. We will help you conduct your search and prepare your application. We will file your application with the Trademark Office and issue you with the receipt.
For more information about our services, contact our friendly team today.